Tuesday, January 29, 2008

¨On the road again¨

Day 27: Still in Salta and heading by night bus to Buenos Aires in an hour. The weather is driving me away from this city, and likely also away from Buenos Aires when I get there. Weather updates of Puerto Madryn in the south inform me that it´s nice and mostly sunny there. Most importantly, however, no rain in the forecast! No rain, sea lions, penguins, and possible whale sightings? I am so there, even if it means pretty much half a week of my life spent in busses.

Anyway, I arrive in Buenos Aires tomorrow (21hr bus ride) and will hopefully be able to meet up with Eden one last time before her flight back to Chicago. Steaks you can cut with a spoon & bottles of malbec are on the menu!

This blogging thing gets tiring so you will have to do with a paltry update, in photo form.


I love desert scenery. Photo taken outside of San Pedro de Atacama, Chile.


Up high in the mountains outside of San Pedro de Atacama, there are gorgeous lakes with crystal clear waters. It reminded me of Banff, Canada but sans evergreens and plus desert grasses.


Strangest sandwich ever; Salta. Feeling like a fatty, I ordered a sandwich of lettuce, tomato, onions, eggs, peppers, and rocquefort cheese off the ¨light¨ section of the menu. I was expecting something along the lines of an egg salad sandwich with some extra veggies. This is what I got. I mean it was fine, but like... whoop dee doo. I ate it and looked longingly at my neighbours enjoying their delicious, warm sammiches with gooey quesos and steaks.

It has now dawned on my why I´m spending so much. I quite honestly stop every chance I get at some cute little bistro, restaurant, cafe, panderia (bakery), etc. to chow. I love food-travelling. I especially love it when I´m actually losing weight. This is thanks to trekking and endless walking to the next food-destination!

So far I have learned empanadas in Argentina are baked in a wood fired ovens. Wonderful! The ones in SPdA were fried. Very unhealthy but very, very delicious. I love empanadas!


A little glimpse at Salta´s architecture. I am really bad with shots of the city so like yah. There aren´t many. :(


Anyway, this Argentinian culture takes some getting used to. Every non-lunch meal I´ve had since arriving I´ve had pretty much alone--as in, alone in the restaurant. Last night I had dinner at 830pm all by my lonesome in a huge restaurant. People here eat crazy late; I just can´t get used to it! How do they eat so late and not get fat!?

And fat, they definitely are not. The only size pants I can find are like 23. Maybe, if you´re lucky, you can get into the plus sized section with some size 25s. Hoping BA has more selection for fatty North Americans like myself.

Finally, I wanted to add, I´m a Canuck! People hate Americans! Haha. Since travelling, I´ve suddenly become crazy about stating that I am Canadian and thus completely neglecting to mention my home in Chicago. It seems people are hesitant to talk to you if you mention you´re from the States whereas if you´re from Canada (or some other non-US, western country), immediately comes the Bush-bashing and immediate comraderie. Just my limited experience, so far.

1 comment:

natis said...

egads, i'm so behind in my reading. i apologize. things have been hectic to say the least. i'll return to my non-witty non sequiturs soon!

nice pics btw. glad to see you're getting use from the new toy but i think you're still hiding the bulk of that stash.