Wednesday, December 19, 2007

List: Books 2007

Books I've read or reread, 2007 edition. The list is pretty short since I've not read much this year though that seems to be changing.

* denotes it's highly recommended (which isn't to suggest that the ones without *s are no good--they are.)
strikethrough denotes I couldn't finish it (these are probably no good)

  1. Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
  2. Memories of my Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  3. Neuromancer by William Gibson (perhaps unfair since I took an 8 month break and couldn't get back into it)
  4. The Black Prince by Iris Murdoch
  5. My Uncle Oswald by Roald Dahl
  6. Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut *
  7. Elizabeth Costello by John M. Coetzee
  8. The Harmony Silk Factory by Tash Aw
  9. Harry potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (re-read)
  10. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
  11. Gabriela, Clove and Cinnamonby Jorge Amado
  12. The Devil in the White City by Eric Larson
  13. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez *
  14. Possession by A.S. Byatt
  15. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami *
  16. Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima
  17. Deluxe: How Luxury Lost its Luster by Dana Thomas *
  18. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
  19. The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman
  20. The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman
  21. For the Relief of Unbearable Urges by Nathan Englander

7 comments:

natis said...

Holy crap, the comments window is in German for me. Anyway, quick greetings from Switzerland. Kinda ghetto town but first batch of cute women since leaving the UK. Just started my second book on this trip "Norwegian Wood". So far, not bad, might have to pick up "Hard-boiled Wonderland....".

Now that you have your passport, travel girl, travel. I'm planning my 2 week trip for next year. Thinking Italy/Greece. Want in on it?

natis said...

Let me know what you think of Norwegian Wood and how it compares to (if it can) to Hard-boiled....

Unknown said...

Oh Norwegian -- such drama overload! None-the-less, I liked it :-) When you're finished: Which character do you most closely resemble?

Joey said...

to Natis: well, I can already tell you I like Norwegian Wood a whole lot more than Wonderland. Of all the Murakami I've read (W-U Bird, Sheep Chase, Dance Dance), I've liked Wonderland the least. I am, however, really liking Norwegian Wood. All the other ones I've read have been the usual crazy, fantastical stuff (esp. Wonderland--which is why, after 3 others of the same sort of thing, I was kind of bored with the one-trick pony) and NW doesn't have any of thsoe crazy, fantastical elements. It's still definitely Murakami--just minus the paranormal. I am really enjoying it and will be finished soon.

Joey said...

To Sen: I identify with Storm Trooper. Hah!

heavymoe said...

I saw no mention of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. It is perhaps the greatest of the Murakami tales. Also, I am not sure if you are familiar with Tanizaki Junichiro or not, but if you haven't read any, please read The Key or Quicksand! They are masterworks of Japanese Lit.

natis said...

24 Hour Party People - Tony Wilson. See the movie and read the book. You can read it in a day or two.