Thursday, June 26, 2008

SAT Prep Offers BIG MONEY!

As part of my year on the road, I decided to take a job--maybe. I've been offered a position at Jess's SAT prep school to teach SAT Math in Seoul for the remainder of the summer (through August 22). I was pretty much set on taking the position until I had a sudden gnawing fear that I won't be any good. It's especially unnerving because I will not be able to receive proper training as the official training camp for teachers was early June. Frankly, I haven't done actual math (finance math doesn't count) in five years.

Just now I was looking at some sample SAT math questions, and it dawned on me: I don't know how to use FOIL anymore. Like, wha? A polynomial? Oh right... x-squareds and whatnot. At least Mr. Pythagoras can take a breather--the Pythagorean Theorem was stored in my permanent records. You'd think though that after using FOIL non-stop for pretty much all of high school, it would've made it into the vault. Clearly, first, outter, inner, last never had much use in daily life. At least Pythagoras came in handy when solving little puzzles on my podmate's MENSA 1-a-day tear-away calendar back when I was a working chump. I guess a^2+b^2=c^2 was pretty easy to memorize anyway.

Now, problem is, I needed to make a choice about this position like... ten minutes ago. Shite!

No comments: