Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Food Lover's Paradise

Asia is a food lover's paradise. I've never understood those people who refuse to try new things or are turned off when meat isn't in a convenient "fillet". Because lord are they missing out! Asian food of all stripes is just: So. Good. (Getting bored of my raving about the food here yet? Or just getting hungry?)

So dear Jessica has been taking me around Seoul and its surrounding areas gobbling up everything we can lay our grubby little paws on. Unfortunately due to her job, we don't have time for much else aside from eating. Also in her fridge is the best--the absolute best--bread I've ever tasted. It's from Tokyo Boulangerie and unfortunately not found elsewhere! Oh, to be in Tokyo simply for this bread! As Jess said, "Damn those Japanese. They really can improve on everything." So true.

I wish I could post some photos but for some unknown reason my camera is no longer connecting to the computer via its USB cable. My mouse still connects so it may not be a USB port problem but a camera/camera cord problem (?). Who knows. It's frustrating though because I sure do wish I could share my bounty with the lot of you... from Shanghai to Seoul to the DMZ to Tokyo Boulangerie bread. Yum.

In lieu of new photos, I'll post these old photos (again, from Beijing). Delicious zhajiang mien from the ever-popular (and so cheap) Lao Beijing! I think these bowls cost around Y8? I can't quite recall. Regardless, it's under $2.


Chinese zhajiang mien is served unmixed. Wheat noodles are topped with cucumbers (and here also some pickled daikon radish and other veggies) and then "jiang". In Beijing jiang is typically a soybean paste sauce. Other places some mixture of hoisin sauce is used. While I prefer the latter, Beijing's soybean version is also quite tasty.


Mix it up and eat!

All righty then. Laptop battery is about to conk out with no sign of an outlet anywhere. That's how they prevent undue loitering at coffeeshops, I suppose. Of course, it wouldn't be such an issue if my battery had more than 50minutes of life in it (Grr).

1 comment:

YDubL said...

Panda! Oh, Seoul! Actually, have you tried the Korean version of zhajiangmian (it's jajangmyeon)? I like it better than the Beijing version (which is too salty, I say...). In any case, have you ever been to Hong Kong? I am here now on a visa run, and I must say that it is topping Shanghai, Seoul, and Singapore as the top shopping and eating destination of Asia in my book. I think I only have to visit Taipei and Tokyo to confirm this...