Saturday, August 09, 2008

Bipolar travel; last day in Istanbul

The girls have all left, and now I am booked on a 19 hour train ride to Bucharest departing Sunday, August 10th at 10:00pm. Although going via bus is cheaper, more comfortable, and faster, they don't run on Sundays. Lack of planning = screwed Pandas.

So, I am waiting nervously to see what this train is like. I imagine it can't be far from the long distance busses in China. It'll be like reliving Pop's and my bus trip from Shangri-la to Kunming all over again--multiplied by two:


(The old man squeezing into his "bed" on board the overnight busses in Western China. Even I, at 5'5", barely fit into the bed.)

So we go from the VIP floor of the Hyatt to 6 person "kuşet" sleeper trains to Bucharest. "Only toilet", said the ticket sales clerk.



Walking back from the train station just now in the midday heat, I suddenly remember that trains likely do not have air conditioning. Some quick googling upon my return to the hostel confirms my suspicions. Shit! Let me go back to the Hyatt!!!!

1 comment:

tuna said...

That is why you take the 1st class sleeper cars in eastern Europe, rookie.