Sunday, May 04, 2008

The thing about squatting bathrooms

As most of you know, bathrooms around the globe vary from area to area. China is quite famous for it's squatting lavatories. I'm fine with popping a squat and have been known to do it in many a public place (ie. 3am, drunk, under the el or 4pm, sober, in the middle of nowhere) so it's not so much the squatting that bothers me. More specifically, it's the fear of slipping and sliding into said toilet that frightens me.

Often times in public places these bathrooms aren't exactly clean. There are usually puddles of water (perhaps urine?) all over the place and I've already slipped a few times--though thankfully not into the actual toilet. My fear of these bathrooms is rooted in reality.

Plus, which way are you supposed to face anyway?? I've been told to always face outwards, but also to always aim your butt above the actual hole. Anyway... whatever.

So even with the dirtiest of western style bathrooms, the risk of falling into the actual toilet is minimal. While you won't exactly lose a leg slipping into a squatter, the thought of it is disgusting. Most middle class homes these days have the sitting toilet--and for this I am thankful.



One thing to note: dirty squatter toilets are preferrable to a nasty sitting toilet with no toilet seat and a rim that's covered in excrement. Digging your own hole in the ground behind a tree is preferrable to both.




Oh, and I just got back from climbing a 5,396m (17,704ft) mountain. And yes, there was some bano libre action all up there, man. I'm tired. I will post about that little trek once I get some photos uploaded. Yes, I know--I am an amazing example of physical fitness. Hehee. In the interim, if you want a visual, it was kind of like this (minus all the frou-frou video editing and cheesy photo takin; images from the Haba hike start at the 6minute mark):


(incidentally, the old man and i will be tackling the Tiger Leaping Gorge hike shown in the video next. will be easy in comparison)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I say this already? Well, I've always been of the opinion that you can always tell which girls from China are not rich, because they have big thighs from using the squat toilets! =D

Anonymous said...

Does sex ever come into the equation when doing these sorts of things?

Anonymous said...

Pigs climbing mountains? that's odd, it's more of a goat's job.