Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Trailmix is the biggest fraud of our lives

Feeling a little unsatisfied with the soup + salad from lunch, I opted to get a small snack from the vending machine. It was a toss up between an Almond Joy* and a small (emphasis on small) bag of trail mix. Ultimately, I was swayed by the trail mix's inclusion of dehydrated apples. I do love dehydrated apples.

Knowing that nothing produced from a vending machine can ever be considered healthy, I was prepared to incur the wrath of said trail mix's nutritional label. However, as prepared as I thought I was, nothing could assuage my shock that said small baggy contained 500 freakin' calories of horror! That's pretty much an entire meal containing all five food groups right there (and a meal, I would have much rather had).

I shrugged and ate two thirds of it before conning my podmate to take the rest of the bag.

What a waste. I'm still hungry. And 333 calories fatter. That could have been a big, loaded, veggie egg white omelet with a side of bacon. Instead, it was two dinky handfuls of nasty trailmix.


* Admittedly, Almond Joys are not exactly diet food either, but I was prepared to eat only one half of the Almond Joy duo of goodness and give the other one away thereby making it a small and not-quite-as-caloric snack.

1 comment:

Eric said...

duh, trailmix is designed so that you get a lot of energy in a small package on the trail. so you can eat it quickly and continue hiking. idiot.