Thursday, July 12, 2007

Life and Death in the PRC

In recent weeks, it seemed like every day there was a new "Most Emailed Article" on NYTimes.com about how some-such Chinese food/drug product was being recalled. It started with the dog food, then livestock feed, then the toothpaste, then the toy Thomas the tank engine trains painted with lead paint. China just can't catch a break, and neither could the former head of State Food and Drug Administration. I use the past-tense "could" because the former head of the State FDA is now deceased: executed after a very brief trial and denied appeals. Article - New York Times

When I first read the headline I thought, "Executed?? No, no, they must mean they fired him." No, it meant he was executed (details are not available but I guess assumption is that he was shot by a firing squad). It was a stark reminder of how different the dictatorial government of the east is in comparison to our slap-on-the-wrists attitude in the United States. The man took some bribes; what US government official hasn't? (In fact, what Chinese government official hasn't?)

In many ways, I am deeply disturbed by his execution. The point, the article states, was that the government wanted to send the message that it would not take these little missteps lightly. He shamed the nation and had to pay. Instead, the only message I hear is that China is a scary place. I am a China-apologist. You know, heritage and all, ... but I just can't condone this action! If there is one thing I hate, it's hypocrisy. And how hypocritical to throw him to the wolves while the rest get fat on their corruption.

2 comments:

natis said...

The concept of the death penalty is a bit hard for me to accept. Even in the cases of the most gruesome murders, I think that the penalty puts us at the same level as the killer. What I find remarkable about the China incident is that you'd think that a country with a need to improve its reputation to the world for how it treats people would have approached this differently.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, knowing you, I can say that you sure are a China apologist. You should read "Confessions," maybe that will help you see the light a little more. Much as people may bitch about our government, we are still a million times better than the Chinese, even with worthless Bush in power.