Monday, October 15, 2007

Lotus Root Soup

I have been having huge cravings for lotus root soup! I wish one of the restaurants here made it--of course, it probably would not be as good as Mom's. I was searching for recipes online and while it's pretty easy to make, it is rather time consuming. I'm an impatient cook. I want everything done within an hour from start, max.

This recipe
is most remniscent of my mom's, I believe. I don't think it's necessary to have a slow cooker--just heat with a regular pot on low for a few hours to get a good pork stock as the base. Any old cheap cut of pork with the bone-in will do, but spare rib is most popular.

Anyhoo, I'll be back in Toronto in a few weeks with all the lotus root soup I can eat!

2 comments:

natis said...

have your mom make extra then bring it back and freeze it so you can have it during the winter.

Geoff said...

A good way to emulate a slow cooker on a stove top is to put your pot inside of pan, preferably a cast iron skillet. It distributes the heat more evenly and allows for better temperature control.

I'm pretty sure this comment won't get me flamed...but you never can tell on the interweb. ;)